...Merry Xmas...
This year’s Xmas was a memorable one. I thought “oh gosh... Roster for Melbourne flt on the xmas eve… there goes my Xmas celebration with close friends and family”. Nevertheless, I reported for flight thinking that this set of crew might be a little grouchy like me…for having to work on a public holiday.Then, when I met the crew, surprisingly, everyone was so cheerful and in holiday mood, and well prepared for work. The flight was a peaceful one and when we reach Melbourne on the late morning of the xmas day, some of us even agree on a celebration. We drank and chatted and started throwing pillows and pinning down one another. “Blanket Party!!” one shouted as we cheered for the special day. “It feels so much to be in the ‘gang’” I thought deep down in my heart, that though I was unable to celebrate with my close friends, I’m not alone coz I have a ‘family’ to celebrate xmas together with. And in the evening, we had dinner together before sending one another back.
Then again when we reported for flight in the early morning of the next day, we were told that aircraft needed inspection and take off will be delayed till the late evening. For that, the gang cheered discreetly, thinking “Another party!!”.
We were sent back to our hotel and had lunch in “Mekong”, a Vietnamese joint. By late afternoon, we chatted again in one of the crew’s room. It was 4.10pm then when I noticed I had several missed calls on my cell phone from a unfamiliar number from Sg, accompanied with a message asking me to contact the Melbourne station manager. I was then told that due to AOC requirements, I will need to get back to Sg on the next earliest flight that departs in an hour’s time; and if I do not leave by then, I will have to spend another one day in Melbourne alone and leave with a later set of crew, which again, will disrupt my next important training on my schedule.
As I heard of the urgency of the situation, I panicked!! I din want to leave without my crew and be left alone in an unknown city, but there’s really minimum time to get dressed up for the returning flight!! Immediately I called for my IFS to report the situation. Within few minutes, both IFS and chief knocked on my room and offered help to pack my stuff and guide me through the process, as it was my first time having to leave the crew in a last minute call-up situation overseas. With their experience, they got me onto a cab within minutes and I reach the airport in time to catch the plane.
So ‘exciting’ as I thought, as I reached the airport not knowing what’s next? Who do I look for, what should I do, where should I head in such a short time. I had totally no idea and I picked up my phone to contact the station manager. Then he turned up to my rescue, paid for my cab fare, helped me with my bag, guided me through the customs and MADE ME RUN through the airport to the aircraft. Sweat!!
I must say all thanks to him that I finally managed to step into aircraft as the last boarding passenger, as I heard the ground staff saying, “Wow!! 1st time aircraft waits for a cabin crew”. Haha... I thanked him for the wait though. The new set of crew treated me with much hospitality, treating me like as though I’m any of the passengers. I was also given a business class seat, fortunately, as I have been longing to take a glimpse of the JCL service and rumours gave me an impression that it would not be easy especially for 1st time who have totally no idea what’s going on in JCL. It was a wonderful Xmas experience with this company I thought.
While enjoying perks as an passenger – seating down instead of working, reading magazines, watching movie, and best of all a free ticket to experience the JCL service. The crew then invited me for wines and cheese and kept me accompanied. It was 1st time I felt lucky – perhaps in the whole year.
Whoops, not forgetting to mention, I was near to earning additional AUD$100 when a lady queuing in front of me for the ATM machines, forgot to carry her cash which was dispensed by the machine! My first reaction was to shout for her back. – the I thought, “M I dumb of what? I could have kept it as xmas present” – but again, it goes to show that I’m a good person by nature, and therefore good things always happen to me!! Grins!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home