... my first leading review was a sabotage ...
Nov 2012
My first flight as a leading was Dps turnaround. The flight was smooth and of course with anxiety, and the occasional silly mistakes made on annoucements.
One memorable one was on my 3rd flight, first performance review on HKG-SFO flight with STBL. I was checked not on the 1st leg, not the 2nd, neither the 3rd leg. The check was on the last leg, busiest, shortest flight time, fullest load with high number of special meals. And best of all, I was given a very junior stewardess, acting on a steward duty. STBL kind of gave me a reason (which he doesn't need to) that it was to see my "true character" rather than my "acting" on the first 2 legs of journey. Well he succeed in trying to get me killed. Anyway the check was the first and last lousiest check I've ever received till date.
I was corrected for procedures that I didn't do wrongly. With the number of crew and the experience of the crew assigned to me, I was faulted for not going according to procedures. Even with the reasons I had to support myself, I was condemned with the excuse that "I did not take 'him', the purser seriously...". The check report is definitely a demoralizing one, one that finds all fault and sees no potential to develop. If that was not enough, the check was submitted and when received by higher management ML, I was questioned for why the poor review, yet again, re-traumatizing. Same thing happen as it was yet again mishandled by ML, claiming that STBL wasn't wrong in correcting me. But, as I questioned, was I wrong in the first place. He couldn't answer and all he could rattled is STBL wasn't wrong. By the end of the call, ML was asking me to write an email to thank him for "briefing" me on this check review. It is so obvious ML was at his current position in hopes to extend a few more years of his contract, he wasn't really interested in the betterment of his subordinates! In fact he didn't want to help me in fighting the case, in worry that he might offend STBL who is as senior as he is.
(((
Incident: 38-40 spml out of 228 load, given fss a 2nd time C2.
1) Was corrected child meal request. I have instructed my girl to serve the children who did not request for kids' meal, after I'm freed of all other special meals distribution, which was not required of me to do so, as long as I serve them first as I pushed out the carts. According to STBL, I should serve them before all other special meals, but after those requested kids' meal. So I was marked one point down on procedures.
2) Guideline was to serve drinks every 12 special meal trays went out which I skipped that idea due to high number of special meals to be handle by limited manpower. STBL insisted and therefore I release 2 girls to accomplished what he had requested. While they carrying out their duties, in a wrong way, I was fault for not overlooking them. To remind you that I was still halfway giving the next 20 trays of special meals, running in the cabin ALONE. Was marked 4points down.
3) Was faulted because I should be the one instructing my C2 what trays to pull out instead of at her convenience. When I reasoned out that she is not as experience and if I were to ask her to pull a certain tray setting she would take a longer time, which can delay the service, STBL said I didn't take him seriously. Was given generally rather adverse comments.
4) STBL said, "I've purposely arrange the review on the last track to see your true 'colors'." What had I done to make him feel that all this while I was acting??
5) After check has been submitted, WL ML called to say, "Hey what happened? I thought was a junior's check review, when I see it's a senior's one, I almost fainted!!" So as I questioned back politely," Since you said it's unbelievable (indirectly), and you can tell from my past records of my good performance, may i still asked for a 2nd review?". His replied was, "No man!! Never ask me again for a re-check!!" .. End of the conversation, "Oh yes, before we hung up, later, would you send me an email to thank me for briefing you on this review. Just email me will do."
)))
My first flight as a leading was Dps turnaround. The flight was smooth and of course with anxiety, and the occasional silly mistakes made on annoucements.
One memorable one was on my 3rd flight, first performance review on HKG-SFO flight with STBL. I was checked not on the 1st leg, not the 2nd, neither the 3rd leg. The check was on the last leg, busiest, shortest flight time, fullest load with high number of special meals. And best of all, I was given a very junior stewardess, acting on a steward duty. STBL kind of gave me a reason (which he doesn't need to) that it was to see my "true character" rather than my "acting" on the first 2 legs of journey. Well he succeed in trying to get me killed. Anyway the check was the first and last lousiest check I've ever received till date.
I was corrected for procedures that I didn't do wrongly. With the number of crew and the experience of the crew assigned to me, I was faulted for not going according to procedures. Even with the reasons I had to support myself, I was condemned with the excuse that "I did not take 'him', the purser seriously...". The check report is definitely a demoralizing one, one that finds all fault and sees no potential to develop. If that was not enough, the check was submitted and when received by higher management ML, I was questioned for why the poor review, yet again, re-traumatizing. Same thing happen as it was yet again mishandled by ML, claiming that STBL wasn't wrong in correcting me. But, as I questioned, was I wrong in the first place. He couldn't answer and all he could rattled is STBL wasn't wrong. By the end of the call, ML was asking me to write an email to thank him for "briefing" me on this check review. It is so obvious ML was at his current position in hopes to extend a few more years of his contract, he wasn't really interested in the betterment of his subordinates! In fact he didn't want to help me in fighting the case, in worry that he might offend STBL who is as senior as he is.
This high-handed is really unfair. Just recently, an ex-colleague affected by the very same high-handedness, a very similar situation I had, and has got the guts to mass email the whole company including the CEO. I totally shared his view and salute his "never admit to things he did not do".
It's just a culture, not gone yet!
(((
Incident: 38-40 spml out of 228 load, given fss a 2nd time C2.
1) Was corrected child meal request. I have instructed my girl to serve the children who did not request for kids' meal, after I'm freed of all other special meals distribution, which was not required of me to do so, as long as I serve them first as I pushed out the carts. According to STBL, I should serve them before all other special meals, but after those requested kids' meal. So I was marked one point down on procedures.
2) Guideline was to serve drinks every 12 special meal trays went out which I skipped that idea due to high number of special meals to be handle by limited manpower. STBL insisted and therefore I release 2 girls to accomplished what he had requested. While they carrying out their duties, in a wrong way, I was fault for not overlooking them. To remind you that I was still halfway giving the next 20 trays of special meals, running in the cabin ALONE. Was marked 4points down.
3) Was faulted because I should be the one instructing my C2 what trays to pull out instead of at her convenience. When I reasoned out that she is not as experience and if I were to ask her to pull a certain tray setting she would take a longer time, which can delay the service, STBL said I didn't take him seriously. Was given generally rather adverse comments.
4) STBL said, "I've purposely arrange the review on the last track to see your true 'colors'." What had I done to make him feel that all this while I was acting??
5) After check has been submitted, WL ML called to say, "Hey what happened? I thought was a junior's check review, when I see it's a senior's one, I almost fainted!!" So as I questioned back politely," Since you said it's unbelievable (indirectly), and you can tell from my past records of my good performance, may i still asked for a 2nd review?". His replied was, "No man!! Never ask me again for a re-check!!" .. End of the conversation, "Oh yes, before we hung up, later, would you send me an email to thank me for briefing you on this review. Just email me will do."
)))

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home